Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Reading Wednesday

Hi all, I thought it would be fun to share with you all about what I have been reading this year. I found my love of reading in high school and have had my nose in a book ever since. It was harder to read what I wanted while I was in school, but it is much easier now. One author that got me interested in reading was Bill Watterson. Almost daily I would get lost in the adventures of Calvin & Hobbes. Often, I will still grab one of my many comic books to read, so I was thrilled to find out that in November of 09 a biography was published about Bill.
Photobucket
Poor Bill seems like a very bitter man, and I was disappointed about that. As a large fan of the comic I recommend this book to anyone that read Calvin & Hobbes.

Another favorite author is James Patterson. I feel like I have grown out of many of his books, but I was interested in this one.
Photobucket
My dad has always been a nut about Egyptology and this was a very intriguing book.

My next read of the year was The Clan of the Cave Bear. Susan recommended this book because she was reading it and it had been her grandfather’s favorite as a child. This book explores the possibility of the dawn of modern humans and their interaction with cave dwellers. Very interesting and the day I finished, I went out and bought the second in the series.
Photobucket
Photobucket
A nice quick read for me was The Lightening Thief. I really love the story and just think its pretty much genius. We studied the gods and goddesses for years in Latin and it was so fun to explore them again in this way. It has also been made into a movie, in theaters now, and that intrigued me. I have not seen it yet, but I hope to soon!
Photobucket
And my second biography of the year, I have started Going Rogue. I like Sarah Palin and have enjoyed it so far.
Photobucket

So what are you reading? Have you read any of these books? What did you think?

3 comments:

The Engineer said...

I hadn't read any of these yet, but The Lightning Thief did show up on my radar. I started the year with "Obsession" by Ted Dekker. It was dark and gripping, but very good. I then read "And Another Thing" by Eoin Coiffer. If you've read the Hitchhiker's Trilogy just go and read this. If not then go start at the beginning. Now I'm working through Don Quixote.

Marissa said...

I haven't read any of these but I really want to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and read the Lighning Theif series ha! I have been reading a lot of romance novels lately..Lynsay Sands is my favorite romance author and has put out three new books that I have just finished. I also have been reading some Lisa Klyepas! But right now I have started the Odessey!! It was one of my favorite stories in school and thought it would be fun to read again..I feel I can really relate to Penelope while my hubby is away at war ha (I am such a geek I know)! I love the classics! And I think I am going to reread the Harry Potter series from start to finish again (HP is my absolute all time fav..it helped me in my troubled childhood ha)..anyways I am rambling..miss you :D!!

bethany said...

I haven't read any of these but am currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Pretty good - had higher hopes for it, but from all the reccommendations, I think that it must have a pretty dynamic ending. Finished The Help about a month ago. LOVED this book - HIGHLY recommend it!

Happy reading and thanks for all of your suggestions - I am always looking for new reads!